Dear Colleagues:

It was very appropriate that Billy Graham and ARLIS/NA were meeting in the
same city, for when we started ARLIS/NA, we were evangelical about preaching
the gospel of art librarianship and traveling throughout the country to
stimulate enough people to form chapters in various sections of the United
States and Canada.  Not having an AlamoDome, we met in library audiotirums
and museum lecture halls to preach the gospel--and all of you are the living
testimonials to an organization that has international recognition,
professional standing and the vitality to get things done. And what a
beautiful groupof members we have--for some reason, art librarians have
found the fountain of youth, because about 150 of you whom I greeted on
Saturday and Sunday seem not to have grown a day older than when I met you
in the 1970s.

I would very much like to take this opporutnity to "preach the gospel" one
more time--to thankyou all for making our vision a reality, and to make sure
that you do not forget those who went before, those original 10 charter
members from 1972 who made this all possible, and the hudnreds after them
who joined en force in 1972 to make the first Annual Conferenc ein New York
in January 1973 the foundation for all those which followed. There are
thoseof us who have passed on, such as Jacqueline Sisson and Peter Anthony
who helped so much with their ideas and their energy.  It was a tribute to
the organization that so many members who have retired return for more
input, more problem-solving, and to impart their wisdom to the profession
which has been nurtured by them and has nurtured them as well.

As as you wend your way home to art libraries throughout North America and
beyond, remember that the car wash owners were also meeting in San Antonio
at the same time (7000 strong), perhaps to wash away the sins of parties,
receptions, dancing and the like that made the celebration in San Antonio of
25 years such a wonderful experience.  Here's to the next 25!

Judith A. Hoffberg
Honorary Lifetime Member
1972 -
Judith A. Hoffberg