Ciao all. I'm currently looking at backup for images. I've heard from my
computer guru that magneto optical drives are far more reliable. The drive
itself is more expensive ( approx  $1000 Aus as opposed to approx $800 for
a JAZ Drive), but the tapes ( still only 640 megs as opposed to a Gig for a
Jaz) are cheaper ( Cyquest at 1.6 Gig is $175.). Still JAZs have to be well
looked after, as they're much more succeptible to damage. I was fond of
JAZs for ease of use and copious storage, but am swinging towards optical
magneto now. It doesn't look like DCDs ( 9 gigs) being developed by Sony
and Toshiba will be on the market for another 2 years according to one
source.  If anyone can enlarge on this, I'd be interested. Jennifer QCA.

>Hi to the listserve:
>
>First, I would like to thank all of the people who have provided me with
>interesting reading since I first subscribed a few months ago.  I learn
>more about the this field reading your e-mails than in most any other
>source.  Thanks.
>
>Second, I would like to ask two separate but related questions and hope
>that someone may be able to answer them for me.
>
>1.  On the issue of storage media for an image database in a PC Windows
>95/97
>    environment:
>    I am presently designing an image database and the organization I
>represent
>    has asked me to investigate this.  What is the list's opinion on using
>    either PC formatted Zip, Jazz, Syquest, etc. drives as either
>portable or
>    built-in image storing devices?  Could anyone suggest what each of
>these
>    should cost either in a catalog or at a retailer?  Would anyone be
>willing
>    to share his or her own experience with what was purchased?  As it
>stands,
>    I suggested that they go with the Jazz drive sold by the computer
>dealer (a
>    large reputable company) for $399 for the installed version.  I
>prefer the
>    external one for its portability if they can get it at a comparable
>cost.
>    Another less desirable option are CD-ROM's, which I think will be
>much less
>    flexible overall.  If anyone has experience with CD-ROM's I would
>like to
>    hear about it.
>
>2.  On the issue of Web page creating software which will be used to view
>some
>    of the images in the database:
>    I am very familiar with Adobe Pagemill and Netscape's page builder in
>    Macintosh environment.  Both are very easy to work with and are very
>"drag-
>    and-drop" oriented.  They require very little HTML coding.  Would
>anyone on
>    the list be able to share his or her experience with the PC versions
>of
>    this kind of software, perhaps offering costs, ease of use, and the
>ability
>    to work with an image database?  Is anyone familiar with SGML and how
>this
>    might effect the furture of our Web pages before I buy the software?
>
>I will be happy to offer a summary of responses if the list is
>interested.  Please respond off-line.  Thanks very much in advance.
>
>Sincerely,
>

>Robert Goodman
>Project Assistant
>The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies
>(Philadelphia, PA)

>Robert E. Goodman
>Drexel University (Library Masters Student)
> [...]

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE PERSONAL,NOT UNIVERSITY POLICY.

Jennifer Brasher            `` `  ` `   EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Art Librarian                  ``  `  ` VOICE: +61 (07) 3875 3132
Image Manager                     `  ` `FAX: +61 (07) 3875 3133

SNAIL MAIL                           ` ` `  `
Queensland College of Art Library       ` ` ` `  *
Griffith University                        ```````  *

Clearview Terrace                             ``*` *
Morningside Campus                                 *
PO Box 84 Morningside Brisbane Queensland 4170 Australia