----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hi to the listserve: First, I would like to thank all of the people who have provided me with interesting reading since I first subscribed a few months ago. I learn more about the this field reading your e-mails than in most any other source. Thanks. Second, I would like to ask two separate but related questions and hope that someone may be able to answer them for me. 1. On the issue of storage media for an image database in a PC Windows 95/97 environment: I am presently designing an image database and the organization I represent has asked me to investigate this. What is the list's opinion on using either PC formatted Zip, Jazz, Syquest, etc. drives as either portable or built-in image storing devices? Could anyone suggest what each of these should cost either in a catalog or at a retailer? Would anyone be willing to share his or her own experience with what was purchased? As it stands, I suggested that they go with the Jazz drive sold by the computer dealer (a large reputable company) for $399 for the installed version. I prefer the external one for its portability if they can get it at a comparable cost. Another less desirable option are CD-ROM's, which I think will be much less flexible overall. If anyone has experience with CD-ROM's I would like to hear about it. 2. On the issue of Web page creating software which will be used to view some of the images in the database: I am very familiar with Adobe Pagemill and Netscape's page builder in a Macintosh environment. Both are very easy to work with and are very "drag- and-drop" oriented. They require very little HTML coding. Would anyone on the list be able to share his or her experience with the PC versions of this kind of software, perhaps offering costs, ease of use, and the ability to work with an image database? Is anyone familiar with SGML and how this might effect the furture of our Web pages before I buy the software? I will be happy to offer a summary of responses if the list is interested. Please respond off-line. Thanks very much in advance. Sincerely, Robert Goodman Project Assistant The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies (Philadelphia, PA) ************************************************************************** Robert E. Goodman Drexel University (Library Masters Student) College of Information Science & Technology 101 North 34th Street, Box 1302, Philadelphia, PA 19104 [log in to unmask] 1-215/571-4610 **************************************************************************