Kathy, in addition to the exit strategies already suggested by others, you
might also consider adding to your borrowing procedures some sort of user ID
that establishes the borrower's museum department as ultimately responsible
for books taken out.  Our staff borrowing policy includes the requirement to
provide a departmental account number for sign-outs; the policy was approved
by management and is disseminated to all museum staff who borrow books.  As
with other library services for which costs are allocated back to the using
department or project, the account number is the basis of a charge-back
system; when necessary, overdue fines and replacement/processing costs for
lost books are charged directly to the borrower's department.  It serves the
additional function of making department managers (whose job it is to
approve invoices) aware of their staff's borrowing (mis)behaviour at the
library.

At 12:03 PM 4/21/97 -0400, you wrote:
>This message is especially directed to museum libraries.
>
>We are trying to set up a policy for how to handle retrieving all books
>checked out to an employee who is leaving their position in the museum, and
>who to make responsible for the replacement cost of books not retrieved.

Karen McKenzie                     Phone: (416) 979-6660 Ext. 389
Chief Librarian                    Fax:   (416) 979-6602
E.P. Taylor Research Library & Archives
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON    M5T 1G4