---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:27:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paul Glassman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dimension of Sindone Chapel dome

Would any one be able to tell me the approximate height of the dome, from
the base of the drum, of the Capella della Santissima Sindone (Chapel of
the Holy Shroud) in Turin, designed by Guarino Guarini, and constructed
between 1667 and 1690?  In H. A. Meek's book on Guarini there is no scale
on the section; in the Dictionary of Architecture there is a scale,
leading me to estimate a height of 60 meters, or approximately 180 feet
(about the height of a 15-story commercial building), but in Looking at
Architecture, G. E. Kidder Smith writes, "Although the overall height of
the dome is modest, the cunningly contrived foreshortening gives the
interior tantalizing space."

Thanks for your assistance.

--Paul Glassman
  Art & Architecture Librarian