We don't have a policy, just a practice. We allow for a 5-10% turn-over rate
in our journal subscriptions (that is, we cancel from 10-15 subscriptions
every year so we can subscribe to new titles). This enables us to satisfy
faculty and student requests (their suggestions are usually very good), and
test out new titles -- before cancelling a title, we make sure that another
library in our geographic region subscribes to it.
Jill Patrick, Ontario College of Art & Design
Toronto