I am an MLS student (at Syracuse) associated this semester with the
Interactive Multimedia Group at Cornell.  We are interested in uncovering
effective ways to evaluate Web-based art or art history resources, and I am
doing preliminary research on user evaluations.  If you are or have been
associated with an art museum, special collection, or exhibition site, or a
digital image archive on the Web, would you please take a few minutes to
answer the questions below?  If you are involved in a project of this sort,
but are not the best person to answer these questions, could you please
forward this survey to the correct person?

Please direct your responses to: [log in to unmask], *not* to the list.  I
will summarize for the list if people are interested.  I have posted this
questionnaire only to listservs which I read regularly (ARLIS, VRA-L, CAAH,
SHARP-L, EXLIBRIS) where I think some of the participants may have worked
on sites like the ones we are looking at; I apologize for the inconvenience
to those who read more than one of these lists.   (If you are a regular on
a list which you believe has many readers who could respond to these
questions, could you let me know about the list, please?)

1 - What are the name and URL of the site you are responding for?

2 - There are a number of conventional ways to get feedback or evaluation
from remote users.  Please note all of the methods employed at your site:
_ provide an e-mail address, without making any request for feedback
_ ask specifically for feedback, and provide an e-mail address
_ ask for feedback and provide a form for general comment
_ ask for feedback and provide a form with several specific questions you
want answered
_ other methods. Please describe them...

3 - Do you also track visits to your site through a Web statistics program?

If so, what proportion of visitors to your site send you feedback of any sort?

4 - Do you have a page where visitors can see comments made by others?

5 - Do you offer any incentive to visitors to provide you with feedback
(required for access to part of the site, contests, giveaways, etc.)?  What
are your impressions of the results of this strategy?

6 - What do you do with the information you receive?  Please note all uses:
_ to document use of the site
_ in formal evaluation of the site
_ as a source of suggestions for change which you consider seriously /
sometimes act on
_  other uses. Please describe them...

7 - Do you have any additional thoughts about user evaluation of art sites
which you would share with me?

8 - Would you be willing to discuss your site further with me or with
another representative of our group through e-mail?  Please provide contact
information.

Thank you very  much!
Marianne Hansen