I think the idea is excellent.  Sydney Starr, chair of the library faculty
at Pratt, prefers the term advisor.  Still, I think the idea fits nicely
with the cooperative culture of librarianship.  I personally have
experienced the benefits of a mentor in a museum education setting, but
not in a library environment (except by peers).

I am perhaps even more enthusiastic about sessions on management, whether
related to building operations, human resources, long-range planning, or
budget.  I noticed that there were virtually no sessions on these topics
in San Antonio, and I have also noticed that there is an avoidance in some
libraries of any discussions on management issues.  More specifically,
these are some topics I would find helpful:

  .  Long-range planning
  .  Strategic planning for electronic resources
  .  Models of supervision
  .  Budgetary control and oversight
  .  Self-studies
  .  Facilities planning and management