!!! TRYING TO LOCATE EARLY SCHADOGRAPHS!!!

Christian Schad Retrospective, Kunsthaus Zurich, Switzerland

Dear Curators and Archivists:

The Kunsthaus Zurich is presently organizing a Christian Schad
retrospective which will open in Zurich in August 1997 and will then
travel to the Lenbachhaus in Munich and other destinations in Europe.
The curator of the exhibition, Dr. Tobia Bezzola, is attempting to show
the complete series of early Schadographs made by Christian Schad in
Geneva in 1918/1919. The inventory by Bettina Schad, the artist's widow,
lists 30 early cameraless photographs. However, we are only able to
locate 27 works at the moment.
I have now been charged by the Kunsthaus Zurich with the search for the
missing three. The inventory describes them as follows:

Schadograph Nr. 1, Geneva 1919.
Title: "ARP et VAL SERNER dans le crocrodarium de Londres"
5.9 x 8.2 or 6.5 x 8.9 cm
Probably acquired through the dealer Herbert Lang as Nr. 459 or 460 at
the auction of Tristan Tzara's collection at the gallery Klipstein &
Kornfeld in Bern in 1958 for an unkown American client (most likely an
important library).
Published in Dadaphon, March 1920

Schadograph Nr. 26, Geneva 1919
5.9 x 8.2 cm or 6.5 x 8.9 cm
Probably acquired through the dealer Herbert Lang as NR. 459 or 460 at
the auction of Tristan Tzara's collection at the gallery Klipstein &
Kornfeld in Bern in 1958 for an unknown American client (most likely
animportant library).

Schadograph Nr. 13, Geneva 1919
8 x 5.7 cm (backing 16 x 12.5 cm)
Formerly in a private collection in Princeton, NJ.

Schadograph Nr. 28, Geneva 1919
Probably 8.3 x 5.8 cm
Reproduced on print VII of the "13 Dadaco-Prints" in the collection of
the Berlinische Galerie.
(Dadaco. Dadaistischer Handatlas (unpublished), Verlagsprojekt Kurt
Wolff Verlag, Munich, 1919/20)
Location of original unknown.

Schadograph Nr. 29, Geneva 1919
Probably 8.2 x 5.8 cm
Reproduced on print VII of the "13 Dadaco-Prints" in the collection of
the Berlinische Galerie.
(Dadaco. See above)
Location of original unkown.

Schadograph Nr. 30, Geneva 1919
Probably 8.3 x 5.7 cm
Reproduced on print VII of the "13 Dadaco-Prints" in the collection of
the Berlinische Galerie.
(Dadaco. See above)
Location of original unknown.

Please let me know if any of these works are in your collection (I can
provide you with illustrations for Nr.1, Nr. 13, and Nr.28 through 30)
or if you have any suggestions in where and how to find them.

As I am not subscribed to this list myself, please respond directly to
my e-mail account:

Or telephone or fax at : 011 - 41 1 201 88 07

We immensely appreciate your collaboration.

Yours sincerely,

Ulrike Meyer Stump (Ph.D.cand., Princeton University)
Independent Curatorial Assistant
Kunsthaus Zurich