Sounds great Deirdre.  I wish I could be there.  For some years now we
have followed the practice of appointing one of the professional library
staff to the project team for each major exhibition [and to smaller
exhibitions if the curator requests it].  Their responsibilities vary
but have included research back-up, identifying and filling gaps in the
Research Library's collection, checking facts, footnotes and
bibliographies appearing in the catalogue, creating bibliographies and
in some cases giving public lectures if the exhibition is in their area
of special interest, assisting with editing papers for symposia [facts
and bibliographic details only - we leave the layout and language to the
professional editors on the Publications staff] etc..  In other words
anything which librarians can do better and/or quicker than the
alternative.

This has proved popular with curatorial, editorial and library staff.

Margaret

J. Margaret Shaw
Chief Librarian
National Gallery of Australia Research Library
GPO Box 1150
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

Telephone: 61-(0)6-240 6532