Hi - I am forwarding this "Mystery" to the list in hopes that anyone can
help this PhD student find this work. Please respond directly to her with
your thoughts. Thanks, Ted Goodman

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:28:40 -0500
From: "Laura B." <[log in to unmask]>
To: Edward Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question for art librarians

Dear Ted:

This is kind of you.  I'm afraid that, other than a description of the
work, the rest is hazy rememberance and, as I said, reminds me of queries
that begin "I'd like to see that green book about the history of England."

I'm trying to find at least the artist's name and title of a painting
(although I'd appreciate any information people can come up with) that was
shown at the Los Angeles County Art Museum in a show sometime in the 70s.
The exhibition *may* have been one that consisted of works from the
Hermitage Museum.

The painting shows an weeping angel holding the dead Christ.  What struck
me was the contrast the artist created between a very "dead-looking" body
(pale, flacid, falling out of the angel's arms) and the very live angel
(vibrant) with a sheen of tears on its cheeks.  My recollection is that the
painting is not small (4' tall, maybe?)

I am *not* an art historian, just someone who enjoys art, so when I say
that I associate the style of painting with the Italian Rennaissance,
please realize I'm no expert!

Thanks for your help,
Laura Brendon                ([log in to unmask])
"I'd rather be a cyborg than a goddess."
-- Donna Haraway
Ph.D. Student, Cultural Studies concentration
College of Education, The Ohio State University, USA