Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Greetings ARLIS colleagues, Since I did not have my panel finalized for the preliminary program I wanted to announce it to you before conference. The abstract is stated in both the printed program and the web site. If you are planning on attending this session you might want to read Scott Heller's "What Are They Doing to Art History?" in ArtNews, January 1997, p.102-105. It is a quick overview of some of the concerns that we will address "A decade after the raucous war of approaches within art history, the field is calm [says he]. The once insurgent methods--Marxism, feminism, gay and lesbian theory, semiotics, and now 'visual culture'--are firmly part of the academic mainstream". We think this session will be both informative and challenging. Hope to see many of you there. Regards, Peter Blank ------------------------------ Keeping Pace. The new(est) art histories: What are they, why are they, and what do we do about them? Lyn Korenic, Head, Arts Library, University of California, Santa Barbara "Inside the Discipline, Outside the Paradigm: Keeping Track of the New Art History" As an ABD graduate student in UCSB's Art History program and Head of the Art Library Lyn is uniquely situated to address this topic from multiple vantage points. She will also offer us strategies that will help us keep our collections, our constituencies, and ourselves, current with these still developing methodologies. Katharine Martinez, Members Services Officer for Art & Architecture, Research Libraries Group, Inc. "Mona Lisa, Marilyn Monroe, and the Gibson Girl: The Emergence of Visual Culture Studies in the Art Library" Most of you know Katharine's background at Winterthur, Stanford, and RLG. She continues to work in the area of American visual culture studies. See Katherine Martinez, "Imaging the past: Historians, visual images and the contested definition of history." Visual Resources, 11, 1 (1995): 21-45. Victor Zamudio-Taylor, Lecturer, Dept. of Art and Art History, University of Texas, Austin. Victor has written several essays on contemporary Hispanic American artists (such as Daniel J. Martinez, Carmen Lomas Garza, Luis Cruz Azaceta) and their various strategies for the reaffirmation of heritage. Numerous cites in RLIN, Art Index, etc. Patricia Burnham, Lecturer, American Studies Program/Dept. of Art and Art History, University of Texas, Austin. "Situating American Art in the New Order: Case Studies and Comments." Patricia recently co-edited Redefining American History Painting with Lucretia Hoover Giese (Cambridge University Press, 1995), which included her essay on John Trumbull. Analysing individual authors, she will approach this topic as it relates to the study of American art. -------------------------------------------------------------- Peter P. Blank 102 Cummings Art Bldg. Librarian Stanford, CA 94305-2018 Art & Architecture Library 415-725-1038 Stanford University fax 415-725-0140 [log in to unmask] --------------------------------------------------------------