We members of the Diversity Committee are wondering if this idea could
merge with an idea we have for a session called "Divesity on View:  The
Politics of Exhibitions."  If so, our committee could be a co-sponsor.
Or, do people thing our topic would be better as a separate session?

There have recentyl been controversial exhibitions such as the one on
African Americans at LC, the Irish in NYC, the Enola Gay at the
smithsonian, and others.  Could the session include the interpretation of
themes and cultures.  Readings that related to the subject include:

        Exhibiting Cultures:  The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display
        (1991)

        Kramer, Linda K.  "Cultural Elitism vs. Cultural Diversity in the
        Art Museum of the Nineties."  Curator 37, no. 3 (Sept. 1994):
        155-160.

        Museum Anthropologist 20, no. 2 (Fall 1996).  Special issue on
        the subject -- how definitions of race, gender, ethnicity, and
        freedom of expression are shaped through museum agendas and ex-
        hibition narratives.

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System