Pratt Institute Library sends its periodicals to Heckman Bindery in
Indiana.  It selects perfect bindings because of a long-standing concern
that sewn bindings are difficult to photocopy, since margins tend to be
closer to the gutters.  The persistent problem we have observed, however,
relates to conservation.  If the stock is stiff (usually because it is
thick and coated), the pages tend to pop out, i. e., the binding fails.
Although I understand that Heckman will guarantee the binding if it is no
greater than 2" thick, the inconvenience and risk this poses are
self-evident.  So, I guess I am not recommending this method of binding
from this particular bindery.  Has anybody had similar experiences?  If
so, how was the problem addressed?

--Paul Glassman
  Art & Architecture Librarian
  Pratt Institute