As a person who has worked with computers and library systems for *many*
years, I take big exception to the message excerpted below.  First of all,
I have seen too many libraries suffer from buying equipment first, and
*then* deciding on the software that they will run. This is TOTALLY putting
the cart before the horse.  Secondly, there are MANY considerations to make
when selecting hardware or software - including hardware and software
support, other hardware and software you already have, future flexibility,
and available budget (both recurring and non-recurring).

My advice generally is to consider where you want to go, not just where you
are today.  Buy as open a system as possible - avoid "home grown"
applications like the plague.  It might seem the best course fiscally
today, but you *WILL* pay later (Often with limited staff resources!).  The
other thing I tell people who actually ask for my advice (rather than my
just thrusting this on you!) is to lease equipment (and software) whenever
possible.  By doing so you insure that (a) administrators handing out the $
know that hardware and software is recurring need, and (b) you have an
automatic upgrade path.  This isn't always possible, but when it works you
can usually get 3x the equipment for the $ that you have.

Finally, I think the idea that most libraries are PC based is hogwash.
Most libraries are going to systems that are hardware independent - open
systems.  Just because  a library uses a PC to access the data doesn't make
it "PC based".

Our world is changing rapidly, don't make it harder for yourself than you
need to by saddling yourself with something you will regret later.

Well, I'll step down of my soapbox.  I am really excited to be able to see
some of you in San Antonio and put some faces with the names that I have
gotten to know over the years!

So long,  Mary

>Hi Matthew, I would strongly recommend NOT getting a MAC.  Your
>choices are extremely limited in every type of software.  Almost all
>libraries are PC based and there is very little R&D  being done for
>MAC software at this time.  You definitely need Windows '95 or '97,
>unless your computer department is going with a Windows NT server
>which would be great.  It would be easier to develop  a database
>using a database software to create exactly what yoou need.  I
>wouldn't suggest  doing anything until you upgrade.  I look forward
>to hearing from you. Ciao, Alison

Mary Molinaro
Team Leader, Young Library
University of Kentucky Libraries