Hi Matthew,

Our library has also been exploring databases and programs and
will likely purchase the CASPR system "Library World" within
the next few months.

The system was recommened to me by some local librarians who
use it in a private school, and by others who responded to a
post I did on the "Solo Librarians" (SLA) listserv.

The system is available for Windows and Mac (I'd also suggest
that you head in the Windows direction) and allows for
cataloging (MARC format), circulation, serials control,
acquisitons, etc.  One part takes care of your in-house library
functions; another provides an easy-to-use interface that
allows your users to search the catalog.  The entire system is
integrated--some of the other systems we looked at required the
purchase of "modules"--$$$!

I saw a demo of the most recent version at ALA and was
impressed--it seemed to answer our needs at a reasonable
price.  The only criticism I would have is minor--the user
interface is "friendly" to the point that the graphics seem
perhaps more appropriate for a school library than our research library.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Laura Rose, Librarian
National Sporting Library
Middleburg, VA