I have a patron who is looking for an image of Christ in a hierarchical
arrangement meant to represent a view of the world, or an order of the world.
He thinks it's a medieval image, and he says he's seen it in sculptures and in
paintings.

The image starts with a larger-than-life Christ at the top, and the succeeding
figures below him get smaller and smaller.  Beneath Christ are a pope and a
king; beneath them, bishops and knights; and beneath them, the common people.
Again, this is supposed to represent the hierarchical structure of the world,
from Heaven on down.  The patron looked through 4-5 big books on medieval
art/Christian iconography here and didn't come across it.

I tried looking in the Grove _Dictionary of Art_, but man, that index is dense,
and if you don't know what you're looking for in the first place, it's hard.
The patron knows what the image represents, so he doesn't need the meaning of
the iconography/symbolism; he just wants a reproduction.  Preferably the one in
his head that we can't see.

Any ideas?  If anyone finds anything (especially a bibliographic citation to a
reproduction), please reply directly to me.  Thanks very much.

Sara J. MacDonald, Reference Librarian
Albert M. Greenfield Library, The University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102  USA
Voice: (215) 875-1016  Fax: (215) 875-2296
E-mail: [log in to unmask]    UArts home page: http://www.uarts.edu/