I am posting this in behalf of a colleague who does not subscribe to
the list.  Please send replies directly to her.  Thank you very much.

Elizabeth
Scholes Library, NYS College of Ceramics

 This has also been posted to BI-L.

 Can someone who has done BI for Art History/Appreciaton classes help me out
 with some active learning segments I will be doing soon?  This is the first
 time we have done this class, which is being taught by a new and enthusiatic
 professor.

 For other subject specific classes I have grouped students and asked them to
 answer some pre-determined questions that can be answered by ref. books on
 their tables.  The groups later report on their answers and discuss the
 content and arrangement of the reference books.  Seems to work pretty well.

 I may do the same for this class, but the professor wants them to be able to
 put a work of art "into context": discuss the work in terms of historic,
 stylistic, and symbolic references; relate the work to the artist's life and
 work.

 Can any of you who have done this type of class, give me some examples of
 works of art that would <easily> lend themselves to this type of analysis?
 Picasso's Guernica comes to mind.  Have also asked the professor for some
 ideas, but, with your indulgence, I would like to mine your collective
 wisdom.  And if anyone has some other "active learning" ideas that might work
 well in this situation, that would be great too.

 Background:  We have no electronic classroom yet (but were <just> funded for
 one!!); the classes will be about 1 hour 15 minutes in length; the Hinkle
 Library serves a two-year technical college with a School of Liberal Studies;
 we have a <small> art reference collection (includes the Ency. of World Art);
 students have access to a larger art collection in a nearby library.  No
 public Internet access in the Library (yet), but there is on our campus
 network.  I have already prepared a "pathfinder" that includes some WWW
 sites.  I will be doing the classes at the end of the month.

 Thanks in advance for your help.  Since I am not a member of this list,
 please contact me directly.

 Barbara
 Barbara J. Greil             :   607=587-4313  607=587-4310 (FAX)
 Hinkle Memorial Library      :
 SUNY College of Technology   :   [log in to unmask]
 Alfred, NY 14802             :

----- End forwarded message