Colleagues,

A fascinating opportunity for someone so inclined.  From the new CHART
dist-list.  Do not direct any enquiries to me.

Regards,

Peter Blank

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:02:56 GMT
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Lectureship: New Technologies & Humanities
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>
>Apologies for cross posting.
>
>Lectureship in New Technologies for the Humanities
>UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW
>FACULTY OF ARTS
>
>To expand the use of computing within the Faculty of Arts through
>undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research.
>
>Essential criteria are a strong academic background in an arts
>discipline and experience of the use of IT in teaching and research.
>Experience in one or more relevant areas such as image and text
>processing, digitisation, databases, multimedia, information selection
>and retrieval is desirable.
>
>The post is available for three years in the first instance.
>
>For further particulars write (preferably on a postcard) to: Personnel
>Services, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ. Closing date
>Thursday 27 March 1997.
>
>Further Particulars
>
>The lectureship, tenable for three years in the first instance, will
>be attached to the Arts and Divinity Planning Unit's Humanities
>Computing Resource Unit.  The Unit is an interdisciplinary body which
>co-ordinates inter-departmental initiatives in humanities computing
>teaching, training, and research and supports Glasgow University's
>humanities computing facilities.  Already affiliated with the HCRU are
>several nationally recognized humanities computing initiative,
>including in Archaeology and History (DISH), English Language and
>Literature (STELLA), Modern Languages, and Music.  The Faculty of Arts
>intends to continue to develop IT facilities in aid of teaching and
>research and to develop a full range of courses in the use of
>information technology in the humanities.
>
>The lecturer will be responsible to the new Director of Humanities
>Computing and Information Management and have four principal
>responsibilities: teaching, helping departments to integrate computers
>into their teaching and research, research, and administration.
>
>1. Computers in Teaching
>
>The innovative use of computers in undergraduate teaching is central
>to development of teaching.  At Glasgow, significant strides have been
>made in those departments which house academic staff with extensive
>knowledge of computing.  Other departments are eager to develop their skills in
>this area.  The lecturer will help to address this 'skills gap' in
>selected departments.
>
>2. Teaching
>
>The lecturer will be expected to teach at least twelve hours per week.
>S/he will be expected to contribute to a new 25-week survey course,
>Humanities Computing: Issues and Application', and to design, develop
>and teach other courses in agreement with the Director of HC&IM.
>
>3. Research

> [...]
Peter P. Blank                         102 Cummings Art Bldg.
Librarian                              Stanford, CA 94305-2018
Art & Architecture Library             415-725-1038
Stanford University                    fax 415-725-0140