All,

Thanks for your responses about color copiers.
Below are excerpt responses from the list.

FYI, our Fine Arts and Special Collections Department
had a meeting recently and we decided that purchasing
a color copier would probably be a major pain, but we are going
to try top go ahead with it anyway.
Also, it looks like we may be the only place in Pittsburgh
to let users do self-service color copying, so this
endeavor should be especially interesting. We will probably charge
around $1.25 per copy.

Anyway, we don't know much yet other than we
are going ahead with a request to get
the copier, but I promise to let you know
what happens and all the gory or not so
gory details.
Mo

Excerpts from mail: 14-Feb-97 RE: Color copiers (how do y.. by Janis

>  We ALMOST had a
> color copier which we could have utilized for the public; however, since
> the copier was not to be in a public area, our staff was gearing up for
> doing all such photocopying for the public.   I believe we had
intended to charge .50/page.
> Certainly the demand is still there .... Even if the machine never
> materialized.
> Janis
> MoMA Library

Excerpts from mail: 14-Feb-97 Re: Color copiers (how do y.. by Barbara
E. Reed@Dartmout
> Some years ago I explored getting one.  The sales people couldn't stop
talking
> about all the bells and whistles that the machine could do, all of
which looked
> like staff would have to "fuss" over the machine with users.  I
decided against
> the machine because our staffing levels didn't allow anything that wasn't
> totatlly self-service, except for putting in paper or fixing paper jams.

Excerpts from mail: 14-Feb-97 Re: Color copiers (how do y.. by RAYMOND A

We had a color copier in Arts but

> it has been moved to our Maps & Government Information Library.  The primary
> reason for the move was because the copier was not paying for itself
in Arts.
> The MGI Library is in a better location and gets more use.  But that
does not
> mean we didn't have problems.  I'll address them in the body of your
text below.

>  1. What have been the successes and problems
> > for you?
>         WE ACTUALLY DECIDED TO ACQUIRE A COLOR COPIER FOR THE ART HISTORY
> STUDENTS BECAUSE THAT'S WHO SEEMED TO BE ASKING FOR IT.  IT TURNED OUT
THAT THEY

> DID NOT MAKE USE OF IT -- I THINK THE PRICE WAS HIGHER THAN THEY FOUND
> PRACTICAL FOR THEIR PURPOSES. THE PRIMARY USERS TURNED OUT TO BE ART
AND DESIGN

> STUDENTS AS WELL AS CAMPUS STAFF WHO FOUND THE PRICE OF OUR COPIES TO
BE VERY
> ATTRACTIVE.  SO, ONE PROBLEM WAS THE SITUATION WHERE AN ART STUDENT
WAS USING
> THE MACHINE TO PREPARE ART WORKS AND WOULD ALMOST TAKE UP RESIDENCE AT THE
> MACHINE.  ANOTHER PROBLEM WAS THAT USERS WOULD NOT GET THE COLOR
QUALITY THEY
> WANTED (OFTEN FROM A BAD ORIGINAL) AND WOULD MAKE COLOR ADJUSTMENTS.  THIS
> SEEMED ONLY TO GET THEM IN DEEPER TROUBLE AND IN THE MEANTIME THEY
SPENT $10-15

> PLAYING AROUND.  WE QUICKLY LEARNED TO TELL USERS THAT IF THEY DIDN'T
GET WHAT
> THEY WANTED ON THE FIRST TRY TO ASK A LIBRARIAN FOR ASSISTANCE.
>
> I'M SORRY THAT THE MACHINE IS NO LONGER QUITE AS CONVENIENT FOR OUR
USERS.  IT
> WAS NICE TO HAVE ART AND DESIGN STUDENTS DRAWN TO THE LIBRARY.  THEY
BROUGHT A
> DIFFERENT KIND OF ENERGY THAT WAS REALLY GREAT TO HAVE.
> >
> > 2. How much do you charge per copy?
>         WE CHARGED $1.00 PER COPY REGARDLESS OF SIZE.  STUDENTS WERE
PLEASED TO

> HAVE 11X17 INCH COPIES FOR THAT PRICE.
> >
> > 3. Is your color copier "self-service"?
> > Do you think there are significant problems with
> > offering a self-service color copier?
> > (So far, this is what we're planning to do.
> > And, the reference librarian would probably
> > be the color copier fixer, paper replenisher etc)
>         OUR COPIER WAS IN A PUBLIC AREA AND WAS A SELF-SERVICE
OPERATION.  THE
> PROBLEMS WE ENCOUNTERED WERE MAINLY BECAUSE OF OUR STAFFING SITUATION.
> THERE IS NOT A LIBRARIAN ON DUTY AFTER 5PM WEEKDAYS AND ON WEEKENDS.  THAT
> MEANT THAT OFTEN THERE WERE ONLY STUDENT ASSISANTS WORKING AT THE
CIRCULATION
> DESK WHEN USERS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE MACHINE.  STUDENT ASSISTANTS
WERE ASKED
> TO DEAL WITH ISSUES BEYOND PAPER AND TONER REPLENISHMENT. USERS WANTED
HELP WITH

> THE VARIOUS FUNCTIONS OF THE MACHINE, TOO.  OUR NON-LIBRARIAN STAFF WERE NOT
> PREPARED FOR THAT LEVEL OF SUPPORT.
>
>         IF YOUR COPIER IS IN A SPECIAL COLLECTIONS ENVIRONMENT YOU MIGHT
> CONSIDER HAVING STAFF DO THE COPYING.  HOWEVER, ONE OF THE THINGS OUR USERS
> LIKED A LOT WAS THE FACT THAT THEY GOT TO BE AT THE COPIER, DOING IT
THEMSELVES,

> WITH SOME CAPABILITY OF MANIPULATING THE IMAGE, COLOR, ETC.  THAT
DOESN'T HAPPEN

> AT THE COPY STORES.
> >
> > 4. Do you know of any particular problems
> > with color copiers? (We're getting a 3 year old machine (Xerox
> > 5775 SSE Digital Color Copier/Printer). It won't
> > have any of the slide or computer attachments though).
>         WE HAD A CANON COPIER WHICH SEEMED TO BE PRETTY LOW-MAINTENANCE.  WE
> PURCHASED IT NEW.  IT HAD SEVERAL FUNCTIONS THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO USERS.
> ENLARGE/REDUCE; AREA DESIGNATION (REALLY COOL FEATURE -- BUT THE CAUSE
OF SOME
> PROBLEMS); COLOR ADJUSTMENT (WE JUST HAD TO GET TO THE MACHINE FROM
> TIME-TO-TIME AND SET IT TO THE DEFAULT); A PHOTOGRAPH-ORIGINAL SETTING; WE
> DELIBERATELY DECIDED NOT HAVE A SLIDE ATTACHMENT -- I THINK IT COST A
LOT THOUGH

> I CAN'T REMEMBER.
>
> THE COPIER NEVER (NEVER, NEVER, NEVER) WAS ABLE TO DO JUSTICE TO AGED
PAPER/OLD

> BOOK/MANUSCRIPT COLORS.  THE "TAN" COLOR ALWAYS TURNED OUT TO BE TOO
YELLOW AND

> THERE WAS NOTHING ANY OF US COULD FIGURE OUT TO MAKE IT OTHERWISE.
> >
> > 5. Do you think we should allow black and white copying
> > on the color copier or reserve it for color copying only.
> > (We have two B/W machines on our floor already)
>         WE ALLOWED BLACK & WHITE COPYING BECAUSE THE QUALITY WAS
REALLY SUPERB.

> IT WAS GREAT FOR IMAGES.  WE FOUND THAT THE COPY OF B&W AERIAL
PHOTOGRAPHS AND
> MAPS WAS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE ORIGINAL.  IF A USER WAS WILLING TO PAY, WE LET
> THEM DO IT. WE DID LET THEM KNOW THAT IT COST A DOLLAR A PAGE AND THAT THEY
> SHOULD NOT USE THE MACHINE FOR TEXT -- THIS BECAUSE SOMETIMES A USER
WOULD SEE
> THE COLOR COPIER FIRST AND NOT KNOW THAT WE HAVE BLACK & WHITE COPIERS
THAT COST

> SEVEN & A HALF CENTS PER COPY.
> >
> > 6. Any environmental or noise issues that you know of?
>         DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT; THE MACHINE DID MAKE A BIT
OF NOISE
> BECAUSE THE LIGHT THING MADE FOUR PASSES TO MAKE A COPY: ONE FOR EACH COLOR
> -- RED, BLUE, YELLOW, AND BLACK.  HOWEVER, EVEN THOUGH READERS WERE RIGHT
> NEARBY, THERE WEREN'T COMPLAINTS ABOUT NOISE.
> >
> > 7. What criteria do you use to let a user recopy
> > something when s/he is not satisfied with a copy.
> > (We're thinking of putting up a sign stating
> > criteria for recopying, with some kind of
> > disclaimer that users should know what they're
> > doing before they attempt to operate the machine).
>         WE MADE SURE THAT USERS WERE AWARE THAT THE COLOR QUALITY WAS THEIR
> BUSINESS.  WE DID NOT REIMBURSE THEM FOR "BAD" COPIES.  THE
> "IF-YOU-DONT'-GET-WHAT-YOU-WANT-THE-FIRST-TIME" POLICY WORKED PRETTY WELL AT
> KEEPING THE PROBLEMS AT A MINIMUM.

Mo Dawley
Art Librarian
University Libraries