I believe he is talking about the Bronze Horseman, monument to Peter the
Great, comissioned by Catherine the Great to French sculptor Etienne
Falconet in 1766. The head was made by Falconet's student Marie-Anne
Callot. The statue was erected on the Senate sq. (now Decembrist sq.) not
far from the Winter palace and unveiled in 1782.