We've had a (now very outdated) Savin Prism/SP color copier in the Art
Department of the Free Library of Philadelphia for about five years.  Our
patrons love having it and it is heavily used; the big problem is that it does
go down fairly often, especially as it's aged, and then we're out of luck,
since there's only one machine.  It was installed by the company which has the
franchise for all our copiers, and serviced and maintained by them.  Cpoies are
$1.50 for 8 1/2 x 11", $3.00 for 11 x 17".  It's self-service but it's right by
the reference desk so we help patrons with a lot.  No huge problems with that.
I would try to avoid buying an older copier; the technology has improved a
great deal and people's standards have risen with them.  Ours now looks pretty
low-end.  I would reserve the color machine for color only if at all possible.
Noise hasn't been a problem except occasionally when the machine was about to
break down.  We explain to users up front that we don't give refunds just
because the colors in your copy are unpleasing & in fact very few people seem
to be unsatisfied with their results; we do give a refund if there is an
obvious malfunction or if the ink etc. of the original simply reproduces very
badly.  Actually refunds have not been a big problem and in general I believe
that the copier has been a great addition to our service and much appreciated
by our users.

Bill Lang
Head, Art Department
The Free Library of Philadelphia