Ray Anne, et al.,

GREAT!  But if I may make a suggestion.  As time goes by this list may
develop into a fairly sizeable compilation.  One of the ways someone might
search the site, especially if it can be maintained as one document, is by
using the Find function of your browser.  You could then search for the
occurrence of specific words in the document.  Not that I am suggesting you
employ some sort of controlled vocabulary, etc., but it might be a good idea
if those who submitted suggestions would write a brief annotation indicating
the particular subject area and merits of the timeline/chronology.  It is
doubtful that any single compiler will have the subject expertise or the
library collection to accurately annotate all the possibilities.  The
combination of the title words of the specific reference with the annotation
should give a reasonably rich word soup for keyword searching.  Suggestions
for the document could be posted to the list, thus reminding us all of the
ongoing project and the submission format.  Let's do this once and do it
right.  With a little online discussion, we can hammer out what "right" means.

Regards,

Peter

At 05:09 PM 2/11/97 EST, you wrote:

>I think a list of timelines on ARLIS Web site would be a great tool for
>all of us.  As a general reference librarian prior to becoming an art
>librarian I also know there are published chronologies that art historians
>may find useful in addition to those published in HW Janson and Gardner's
>Art Through the Ages and other general history of art texts.  I am willing
>to work on a list for the Web site this summer.  Please send me full
>citations for the timelines of which you are knowledgable.  Thanks!  RAL
>
>                                Ray Anne Lockard
>                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
>                           University Library System
>                            University of Pittsburgh
>                             Pittsburgh, PA  15260
>                              Voice:  412-648-2410
>                                Fax:  412-648-7568
>                      E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Peter P. Blank                         102 Cummings Art Bldg.
Librarian                              Stanford, CA 94305-2018
Art & Architecture Library             415-725-1038
Stanford University                    fax 415-725-0140