Sherman Clarke has given me permission to forward this to ARLIS-L.

Barbara

--- Forwarded Message from Sherman Clarke <[log in to unmask]> ---

On 3 Feb 1997, Barbara E. Reed wrote:

> Sherman,
>
> Can you translate this from LC-ese for me? What do you suppose this means to
> reference librarians? Will we still be able to look up such topical subject
> headings?
>
> Barbara

Gosh, one does get so used to LC-ese. I didn't realize it was obscure, but
I'll try to translate.

At the moment, one could have subject headings like:
Paris (France) in art
United States in art
Witches in art
Afro-Americans in art
Empire State Building (New York, N.Y.) in art

All of them would be coded as topics (650). The authority records for
Paris (France), United States, and Empire State Building (New York, N.Y.)
alone, not as part of a topical phrase, would be coded 651, 651, and 610.

With this change in practice, these headings would become:
Paris (France)--In art
United States--In art
Witches in art
Afro-Americans in art
Empire State Building (New York, N.Y.)--In art

The headings of the type "<topic> in art" would not change and would stil
be coded 650 as topical subject headings. They would be set up
explicitly in LCSH ("the red books") with references as necessary. The
others would be coded:
651  Paris (France)--In art
651  United States--In art
610  Empire State Building (New York, N.Y.)--In art
This would expedite authority control of the places and building names
because the place or building name is separated from the topical phrase
and can be revised if the main heading is revised. None of these is likely
to be changed.

It might also make a browse display in your OPAC look more helpful because
the place part of the heading is more clearly separated from the phrase.
You might have a browse display of:
Paris (France)--Description and travel
Paris (France)--History
Paris (France)--In art
Paris (France)--Maps

I hope this helps. If you think others might find this helpful, you
certainly have my permission to forward this to ARLIS-L.

Sherman