Rebecca,

I am passing along the following information in response to your request.

Deborah Barlow Smedstad
Head Librarian
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

************************
Debbie--in response to your request for information on our grant:

Rifkind Library grant came from the Institute for Museum Studies (IMS).  We
applied for a 1995 IMS Conservation Project Support grant.  Victoria
Blythe-Hill, Susan Batton (the independent paper conservator), Stephanie
Dyas from our Development Office, and I wrote a proposal of some length (33
pages) the deadline for which was Mar. 31, 1995.  We were awarded a $25,000.
grant to assess the condition and storage as well as to prioritize and
schedule treatment needs of our rare books and periodicals.  The funding
supported a contract consultant to conduct the survey.  The funds became
available on Oct. 1, 1995, and Susan Batton spent two full days a week at
the Center for a period of one year.
Apparently LACMA paper conservtors have a good track record for getting
these grants--at least before the massive funding cuts.

Susan Trauger
Collection Librarian
Rifkind Center for German Expressionist Studies
Los Angeles County Museum of Art