Hi, Amanda,
I am the new librarian at the Denver Art Museum.  Until two years ago,
there were only department collections in the curator's offices. There
has been a retired volunteer librarian who has staffed the library
part-time since it was centralized.  At that time, curators were given
keys to the library.  It seems to work well - we are only open to the
public by appointment. Libraries will always have loss - I was a
medical librarian for 18 years and we had keypad access to the hospital
library - each doctor had his/her own code, but we still had missing
books, etc. If you have the money there is a good keypad system for
under $1,000.

Nancy Simon, Director
Denver Art Museum Library
303-640-1613 (v)