To the people who have responded to my question from yesterday about the
infamous "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog" cartoon, I found it.
Go, search engines!  I did a simple search on AltaVista of

+"no one knows you're a dog" +cartoon

I found a web site with a FAQ section from the rec.arts.comics newsgroup
that had the full citation, which is The New Yorker, July 5, 1993, p. 61.
Now those of you who have the cartoon on your desk or bulletin board can
document it!  The comics site is http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/misc/#dog

I used this for a lecture on the history of the Internet; by the time we
got to 1993, we had talked about privacy, censorship, a little bit about
e-mail and how it works, and I asked the attendees (faculty, by the way) why
the cartoon was funny.  The more we talked about it, the more they thought it
was funny.  I used "Hobbes' Internet Timeline" as the foundation for my outline
(http://info.isoc.org/guest/zakon/Internet/History/HIT.html).  It's a great
site; it's all text!  With lots of links.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my question.

Sara J. MacDonald, Reference Librarian
Albert M. Greenfield Library, The University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102  USA
Voice: (215) 875-1016  Fax: (215) 875-2296
E-mail: [log in to unmask]    UArts home page: http://www.uarts.edu/