I have had one inquiry regarding our joint session with CAA.  ARLIS does
not have one this CAA conference (1997) because their "byzantine" set of
deadlines slipped through the cracks during the transition between
changing liaisons and understandings of the changing extent of involvement
of the Present and Past Presidents of ARLIS/NA.  As I understand it, there
was previously, more direct involvement and that is no longer the case.

I deeply regret the fact that ARLIS is missing a year, but CAA deadlines
are several years in advance of each conference.  A wonderful proposal was
submitted for the Toronto conference by ARLIS member Mary Williamson.  It
was also accepted for the conference!

I hope that we are able to continue our ARLIS presence on the CAA
conference program.  That will, however, depend on our members'
willingness to submit winning proposals as much as my ability to keep up
with the CAA deadlines and coordinate our members attempts to meet those
deadlines.  By accepting the position of CAA liaison, I have made a
serious commitment to doing the latter.  Let's all join together to
encourage ARLIS members WHO ARE ALSO CAA members to keep the program
proposals flowing!

Thank you very much for understanding this disappointing development.
And, please, those of us who are also members of CAA, please be thinking
about topics for the CAA conference after 1998 in Toronto.  I will post
information on it as soon as I learn of the details.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System
                            University of Pittsburgh