     The Canadian Conservation Institute Library has been charging for
     various services to external clients since September, 1996. Until
     then, we did not charge for any service. We now charge for
     inter-library loans, on-site photocopying, and will fax articles at a
     surcharge.

     We will also do database searches for external clients on the two
     databases that our library has been involved in developing--BCIN (the
     international conservation literature database) and BMUS (the
     museology literature database). Both databases are available through
     the Canadian Heritage Information Network.

     For database searches, we charge $60.00 per hour for professional
     time. In addition, we are charging $.20 per page for printouts or
     $2.00 for a diskette.

     If a client visits the library, we will let them search the databases
     themselves without charge.

     It is too early yet to tell what affect these charges will have on our
     external clients, or on our resources.

     A complete list of our charges is available on the Canadian
     Conservation Institute Website. The URL is:
     http://www/pch.gc.ca/cci-icc . Click on "The CCI Library", then "List
     of charges".

     The Canadian federal government is asking all of its agencies to
     recover costs and generate revenue as much as possible. It is
     difficult to adapt to charging, but I suspect that most of us are
     being asked to do the same by our institutions.

     Vicki Davis
     Reference Librarian
     Canadian Conservation Institute Library
     1030 Innes Road