Here's info on PRINTS-L (indirectly) from the list owner...

Stephen Goddard
Curator of Prints & Drawings
Spencer Museum of Art

PRINTS-L F.A.Q.

I. Questions about the mechanics of the Listserv

1. What is PRINTS-L?

Prints-l is a listserv (discussion group) dedicated to the study of
prints and multiples. Our discussions include, but are not limited to:
printmaking history, printmaking technique (both new and historical),
conservation issues, collecting, digital printmaking, and bibliographic
inquiries. You will also find news about new publications, exhibitions,
and print editions.

2. Who belongs to PRINTS-L?

When we last looked about 280 print enthusiasts including printmakers,
museum curators, collectors, conservation experts, appraisers,
publishers, dealers, independent scholars, and students.

3. How do I join the group?

Send e-mail to:
or
with the text:

subscribe prints-l your-name

where your-name is your real name (example: subscribe prints-l A. Hyatt
Mayor)

When you first join the group you ar invited to post a brief note of
introduction.

4. How do I leave the group?

Send e-mail to:
or
with the text:

signoff prints-l

5. How do I send a letter to the entire group?

Address your letter to:
or
Reminder, do _not_ send your request to join or leave the group to this
address..

6. I want to learn about more sophisticated functions offered by your
listserv, such as looking at the group archives, setting my subscription
to "digest" format, or seeing a list of current members.

For a full set of instructions send e-mail to:

or
with the text:
info refcard

7. Why was I removed from the group?

The listowner routinely removes members from the group when it appears
that their mail is bouncing. The listowner gets a bounced mail message
for each bad address with each post to the group. You may be removed if,
for example, your mailbox is full. When this happens just make sure your
system is running smoothly again and re-subscribe. If you think you were
removed by mistake contact the listowner ([log in to unmask]).

8. Why isn't anyone answering my letters?

While it is possible that your letter is simply falling on deaf ears the
listserver does occasionally crash. When this happens be patient.
Prints-l will rise again from the ashes. When prints-l uses up its disk
allocation it is automatically shut down without warning. The listowner
tries to monitor disk space, but it could happen again. Also, when the
listowner travels the list is left untended for up to two weeks at a
time. If a serious problem develops during such a period it may remain
unresolved until the listowner returns.

9. I have something for sale but I don't know how your list feels about
commercial inquiries or advertisements.

We welcome information about new prints, texts, artists' materials, as
well as announcements about jobs, symposia, professional meetings etc.
so long as they are clearly relevant to the general arena of
printmaking. However, we do not wish for prints-l to become a
marketplace and we request that any commercial or promotional
announcement begin the subject heading in the letter with the word NEW.
Some examples:
NEW list of prints for sale
NEW exhibition catalogue
NEW job listing
NEW print invitational
NEW exhibition for rent

Since prints-l readership does not change rapidly there is no need to
repost such announcements unless the contents have changed
substantively.

II. Questions about prints.

10. I have a print and I want to know what its value is.

While opinions may be offered by members of the group, chances are that
you will be referred to one of the several standard references that record
auction prices:

Martin Gordon Inc. _Gordon's Print Prices Annual_. [annual inventory of
old and modern master print auction records]

_Contemporary Print Portfolio. A Guide to Auction Prices 1987-1994_. 5th
edition. Edited by Joseph E. Zanatta. Shawnee (KS), Bon a Tirer
Publishing, 1994.

11. I have a print and I want to know if it is original.

It is very difficult, even impossible, to make this kind of judgment
call without seeing the work in person. Research begins by consulting a
catalogue raisonne (listing of all of an artist's prints), if one has
been published for the artist in question. The standard index to these
specialized and very useful reference works is:

Timothy Riggs, _Index to Oeuvre-Catalogues of Prints by European and
American Artists_.  New York, 1983.

This text will lead you to the standard catalogues. In some cases the
catalogue will include information about copies and forgeries. If you
can not locate a copy of the catalogue raisonne suggested by Riggs
(check your local art museum library) then it is possible that someone
on prints-l will have access to the work and will be able to help you
out.

The texts listed under no. 12 below can also help determine some common
kinds of facsimiles.

12. I have a print and I want to know how to properly care for it.

The basic rules are: keep your print away from light and humidity and be
sure that it is matted in acid-free mat board ("museum board"). Useful
texts on proper care of works of art on paper are:

Anne F. Clapp, _Curatorial Care of Works on Paper_.  Oberlin, 1978.

Francis W. Dolloff, and Roy L. Perkinson, _How to Care for Works of Art
on Paper_. Museum of Fine Arts Boston, 1979.

13. I have a question about a printmaking technique.

You might wish to check one of these resources in addition to posting
your question to prints-l:

Luis Nadeau, _Encyclopedia of Printing, Photographic, and
Photomechanical Processes_. Fredericton (New Brunswick), 1994.

Bamber Gascoigne, _How to Identify Prints. A complete Guide to Manual
and Mechanical Processes from Woodcut to Ink Jet_. London, 1986.

Antony Griffiths,  _Prints and Printmaking. An Introduction to the
History and Techniques_. (London: British Museum), 1980.