Please excuse duplication in cross posting.

Dear ARLIS-Lers, ImageLibers,VRALers,

Better and better. I'm finally catching up with old email here.

I've had a look at this site below, Virage.

I've heard of something else (QBIS?) with a  sketch pad facility (like
Adobe Illustrator) to draw  irregular shapes  or click on a shape within an
image to find. Has anyone else come across this and a supplier? I've done a
Web search in MetaCrawler and Yahoo under QBIS which may be a misnomer.
When I do a search doing image, serch, software I come up with 7 hits which
includes VIRAGE, other stuff less relevant. Any guidance appreciated!

Jennifer QCA

>This is probably old news to you, but just in case I am forwarding it anyway.
>I received it in Edupage, the electronic updating service from Educom.
>Anyway, I thought this was interesting.  Mary
>
>FINDING IMAGES IN A DATABASE
>Software from Virage can compare images with a kind of visual template, in
>much the same way that the human brain functions.  The Virage software
>reduces the essence of each image into a 1-kilobyte file called a feature
>vector, based on shapes, textures, colors and placement.  (Forbes 2 Dec 96
>p240)
>See < http://www.virage.com > for demo.

>Mary Molinaro
>Team Leader, Young Library
>University of Kentucky Libraries
>123 King South
>Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0039

Jennifer Brasher            `` `  ` `   EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Art Librarian                  ``  `  ` VOICE: +61 (07) 3875 3132
Image Manager                     `  ` `FAX: +61 (07) 3875 3133

SNAIL MAIL                           ` ` `  `
Queensland College of Art Library       ` ` ` `  *
Griffith University                        ```````  *

Clearview Terrace                             ``*` *
Morningside Campus                                 *
PO Box 84 Morningside Brisbane Queensland 4170 Australia