Forwarded from the NINCH discussion list.

Judy

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:   David Green, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
TO:     Multiple recipients of list, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
DATE:   12/11/96 6:56 PM

RE:     COPYRIGHT MATTERS; TalkBack article now available

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:50:50 -0500
Sender: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (David Green)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: COPYRIGHT MATTERS; TalkBack article now available

NINCH REPORT
December 11, 1996

1. CONFU Material available on NINCH website
2. Forwarded Press Briefing on WIPO Meeting
3. TalkBack! Article now available on-line

1. CONFU MATERIAL NOW AVAILABLE ON NINCH WEBSITE

As part of the construction of a Copyright and Fair Use Resources page on
its website, NINCH announces the availability of the Proposed Guidelines
for "Distance Learning" and "Digital Images" at
<http://www-ninch.cni.org/NEWS/NEWS.HTML#ISSUES>. A link to Peter Fowler's
"Interim Report" on the Conference on Fair Use, posted at the Patent and
Trademarks office website <www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/>, is
also included.

2. FORWARDED PRESS BRIEFING ON WIPO MEETING

I thought this piece from James Love, director of the Consumer Project on
Technology, clearly expressed an opinion about the WIPO proceedings I
wanted to share with members.

Info-Policy-Notes - A newsletter available from [log in to unmask]
INFORMATION POLICY NOTES
December 5, 1996

>James Love, Director, Consumer Project on Technology
>Center for Study of Responsive Law, Washington, DC

>     Intellectual Property is the "capital stock" of the next century, and
>the rules are important -- too important to decide in a hastily convened
>conference such as this WIPO meeting.  The WIPO delegates are being asked
>to ratify proposals for every country, which have never been tried in any
>country.
>
>     The U.S. Government, a major force pushing for the treaties, hasn't
>moved the Internet copyright legislation out of a single Congressional
>Committee yet, due to strong domestic opposition from a wide coalition of
>data users and computer companies.  The U.S. Congress has never held a
>public hearing on the database proposal, and almost no one in the U.S.
>government has a clue what it actually does.  In Europe, no country has
>yet found a way to implement the EU database directive, without causing a
>meltdown in their domestic information industry.
>
>     The three proposals being considered at the WIPO meetings would
>severely restrict the public's traditional rights to use information.  In
>countless areas of controversy, they resolve thorny questions about user
>rights against the users, and in favor of the new supercharged
>"right-owners."
>
>     The treaties are so poorly conceived as to raise questions about the
>competence of the drafters.  People are alarmed that the drafters do not
>understand computers or the Internet.  No one who used and understood the
>Internet would propose strict rules making RAM and temporary cache copies
>of documents a presumed infringement of copyright.  No one who understands
>the information industry would propose the sweeping new property rights on
>facts and other public domain information (So broad that daily newspapers
>would have to obtain a license to report the box scores from sporting
>events).  No one who considers privacy important would have proposed
>strict liability for Internet Service Providers (which would predictably
>lead to very intrusive surveillance of Internet transmissions).  The early
>"anti-circumvention" provisions of the treaty were so extreme that they
>would have made general purpose personal computers illegal.  Errors of
>these magnitude reflect a lack of understanding about the very technology
>the WIPO delegates are being asked to regulate.
>
>     The Conference organizers are deliberately misleading the public
>about the status of copyright law on the Internet.  Some press briefings
>imply that without the treaties, rampant infringements of copyrighted
>works would be legal.  This is patently false.  Courts routinely hear
>cases about the application of current copyright laws on the Internet.
>New issues are raised, and these issues are resolved through normal court
>processes.  These treaties are not designed to bring copyright to the
> [...]

My article "Beyond Data and Disney to a Networked Cultural Heritage" is now
available as one of the feature articles in the anniversary issue #3 of the
on-line journal TalkBack! at <http://math.lehman.cuny.edu/tb/>. The theme
of the issue is community/virtual community in the arts and cultural
community.