----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Mary, In "Art Documentation" (Winter 1995) there several articles dealing with cataloging methods. One in particular by Sherman Clarke "Illustrated books and book illustrations at the Amon Carter Museum Library," discusses (with examples) cataloging the illustrations in books. I believe that it was presented at the 1995 annual ARLIS/NA conference at a session. Let me know if you have trouble locating the article. I have it and can sen it to you. Marianne Cavanaugh Saint Louis Art Museum >At 01:39 PM 12/1/96 EST, you wrote: >----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > At the risk of repeating a discussion that may already have >taken place on the list, I wish to solicit the advice of the many experts >out there in connection with cataloguing prints appearing in books and >periodicals. It has long been a project close to my heart to be able to >hire staff or students to catalogue these prints which are housed in our >Special Collections. They are found in a huge variety of sources, from >such periodicals as "Gazette des Beaux-Arts", "The Studio" and "Derriere >le Miroir", to the many artists' monographs (Chagall, Miro, etc) published >by Sauret in Monte Carlo, books in the 18th century illustrated with >engravings, and of course early woodcuts, etc. etc.. At the moment the >existence of such prints is little known in either the university or the >library although potentially they form an important part of the >university's art collections, and could be used as teaching materials. As >long as they remain publicly unidentified, and are neglected because of >institutional ignorance, they are vulnerable to theft. > I am now in a position to supervise two graduate students who will >catalogue the prints. But first we must adopt a methodology which will >allow us to describe each print according to museum standards; which >provides for references to the literature; which describes each print >within the bibliographical description for the book or periodical; and >does it all in MARC format for eventual downloading either into the >library's catalogue, or as a separate searchable database. My personal >expertise in cataloguing is several decades old, but I am advised that it >would be useful to acquire a template of the form of entry adopted that >the students could use. > I would be grateful for comments based on experience, comparisons >of the various methods that exist, and advice as to where to find out >about these methodologies. Please contact me directly at [log in to unmask] >I would be happy to share a summary of what I discover with other members >of the list. Many thanks. > > > <^><^> <+><+> <-><-> > -- -- -- > > Mary Williamson, Fine Arts Bibliographer and Senior Librarian, > York University (retired); > Adjunct Faculty, Graduate Dept. of Art History. > email: [log in to unmask] *** fax: (416) 484-0345 > >