I heard a lecture last Friday by Pam Samuelson, an attorney specializing
in intellectual property. She thinks the current WIPO draft treaties
are very serious problems. We have never had a situation in which
international treaties (outside of ending wars) were proposed before
being debated and implemented in countries first. The protection of
databases treaty at first sounds innocent, but actually would make
library usage of data, even public domain data, in a database
illegal without contracts and pay for usage.

The National Basketball Association sued America Online for posting
NBA scores without paying NBA a usage fee!  Even sports scores
are becoming proprietary information.

Every occasion to resist the commodification of information is
an important occasion.  I am pleased with ARLIS' participation
in DFC's attempts to revise the WIPO treaty language.

Maryly Snow
UC BErkeley