The Hemingway Western Studies Center at Boise State
University has for four years now sponsored an annual
Rocky Mountain Artists' Book Competition.  We award
a $500 cash prize and multiple edition publication.
Our titles, like our authors/artists, are immortal:
we keep our books in print eternally (and authors
receive a 10% royalty, ditto). Authors may hail from
anywhere; however, our competition is specialized.
We are not particularly concerned with Angst Over
Orange, The Contents of My Wallet/Purse on February
7, 1977, 1,001 Ways to Use Transparancies/Macrame/
A Kyle Knock-Off Binding/Mediocre Calligraphy--and
All In A Nifty Box!  We are particularly concerned
with public issues (environment, gender, race,
religion, aging, etc.)--especially issues of special
interest to Rocky Mountain readers and viewers.
(However, this does not mean books must deal solely
and exclusively, for example, with Bill, WY)(pop.
11).
We have a regional panel of book artists, archivists,
artists, photographers, and publishers who cull
submissions, due 1 December each year (sent SASE).
1-3 semi-finalists are forwarded on to national
judges, and they make recommendations by 1 March.
(Past judges have included Ruth & Marvin Sackner,
Keith A. Smith, Judith Hoffberg, Martha Wilson,
Tony Zwicker, and other equally luminous luminaries.)
The biggest problem we have faced is amateurish
and/or inappropriate submissions.  Perhaps this is
due to our location, my ability to publicize,
size of the award, focus of the series, or my
breath?  In the past four years, we have only
published two works (CLEARCUT, by Sandra Lopez, and
CITIZENS FOR A POODLE-FREE MONTANA, by Greg
Leichner).  One year, our regional judges felt
we had nothing publishable; another year, regional
judges had misgivings about semi-finalists and national
judges, likewise, could reach no clear consensus.

Tom Trusky, Director
Hemingway Western Studies Center
Boise State University
Boise, ID  83725