I never saw this message turn up on ARLIS-L, so I'm sending it again --
my apologies if it's a duplicate!

We are seriously considering moving _to_ a predominatly non-circulating
collection, _from_ a predominantly circulating one. The changeover is
probably several years off, to be timed in conjunction with the opening
of a new facility. But I am considering staffing implications.

I expect that we will maintain a circulating collection of some kind,
possibly as much as 20%, comprised of "non-research" material for
undergraduates, especially art students.

Although the concept has been approved in priciple by our faculty/student
advisory committee, I expect some opposition -- even outrage! -- from
many of our users, especially faculty who have traditionally had many
privileges.

My questions: What innovative services have non-circulating libraries
developed to satisfy the legitimate needs of architecture, art, and art
history students and faculty for information and images outside the
confines of the library? What impact do these services have on staffing
needs? (For that matter, what impact does the change from predominantly
circulating to predominantly non-circulating have on staffing needs, if
anyone has experienced such a shift?)

I will very much appreciate any and all ideas and feedback, and suggest
that you respond to the list.

Thanks -- Dana

Dana Beth                               phone: 314-935-5218
Art & Architecture Librarian            fax: 314-935-4362
Washington University, Box 1061         email: [log in to unmask]
St. Louis, MO 63130