Ann,  herer is our experience.
Some 10 years ago the Art Library was a branch element quite independent
form the main library.  But in view of the impending consolidation of all
the libraries on this campus in the same building, when the main library
adopted her first automated circulation system  (GEAC) our  books were
barcoded according to the main library policy of applying the sticker
to the flyleaf following the FRONT COVER, right side, at the top.  I suppose
their rationale was to reduce steps for the staff, since that was where
the pocket with the "date due" was attached in their collection.
It so happens that all our books had the pocket attached inside the BACK COVER
with a "date due" slip applied to the flyleaf at left, facing the pocket, so
that the pressure of the stamp would fall on the book, not on the cover.
Shortly after the Art Library was moved to the main library our catalog went
online and the system we adopted (DRA) required a second barcoding.  It made
sense to cover the first stickers with the new ones as it was impossible
to remove them without damage to the books.  Our old books received another
"due date" slip on the front flyleaf, which is rather confusing for the
patrons, and the would be thieves have been happily ripping off barcodes
ever since...
I would suggest that you adopt the position that makes the most sense with
the material you have in your collection, short of changing your practices
from scratch, and requires the least effort on the part of your staff.
Best of luck!  Anna Bigazzi

Art Library
Mortensen Library
University of Hartford