Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- According to a recent story in the New York Times, the average lifetime of a "Web object" is currently 44 days. While I have every confidence that ARLIS/NA intends to maintain its home page, it is a fact that publications on the Internet in general cannot be cited with the expectation that they will remain permanently accessible. At the very minimum, there are likely to be changes in URLs, changes in servers, deletions or additions of material without notice, and changes in titles and formats that by comparison make most print serials seem as stable and enduring as the rock of Gibraltar. In view of the above, I sympathise with your serials department's dilemma and feel that a printout of the conference page (on acid-free permanent paper) as the object to be cataloged may not be such a bad idea -- if what you aim to do is to preserve this information for long-term reference. If your aim is just to list the URL as a resource for timely, current information, a Bookmark or a (frequently checked and updated!) reference guide -- in the form of a Web document -- might make more sense as a finding aid than a catalog record, IMHO. I hope that helps. Andras J. Riedlmayer Fine Arts Library Harvard University [log in to unmask]