From: Kitty Chibnik <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: barcodes

When Columbia began massive barcoding in preparation for the advent of
the online catalog, a barcode placement manual was produced, based on
a manual from Cornell.  It covered not only the placement of barcodes
for books (we barcode on the inside back cover, on the right, 1 inch
in and 1 inch down) but also such items as microfilms, cassettes,
realia, etc.  This was at least 6 years ago, but Technical
Services in either institution might be willing to give you a copy, if
it still exists.

For new items, we barcode at the time of cataloging.  For paperbacks,
this means that we are barcoding the inside back cover of the
paperback, which is then sent out to be bound, so the barcode ends up
not always being readily apparent when the book is flipped open by the
circulation person.  To solve this problem, we stamp the inside back
cover of the hardcover with a very handy "Look for the barcode" stamp,
which also has an arrow pointing towards the left, that is towards the
inner paperback cover.  (This is also used for such situations as
Arabic and Hebrew books where the barcode is placed in the reverse of
where most barcodes are placed--we just add a pencilled note under the
stamp, "in front")

By the way, do not be surprised if you experience a certain amount of
barcode mutiltation, although you may not in the museum situation.  Some
patrons seem to believe that the barcode is the security device!

--Kitty Chibnik, Avery Library

--TAA00168.848018700/aloha.cc.columbia.edu--