----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear colleagues, Please permit me a follow-up to my posting yesterday concerning the CONFU process. I now have in front of me a 35-page fax consisting of the "Draft Report to the Commissioner ... on the conclusion of the conference on fair use" along with a cover memo by Peter Fowler (dated 11/6/96) addressed to CONFU participants and attendees. The subject heading of this memo reads: "Request for comments on proposed final report and notice of final meeting location/date." The Draft Report itself is 14 pages long. Appended to it is a list of "Conference on Fair Use Participants" as well as a whole series of other documents (some, e.g. Appendix 12 on e-reserves, actually represent aborted efforts at producing guidelines). Mr. Fowler's cover memo says that "the deadline for comments on the Draft ... is extended to Monday, November 18, 1996.... The Revised Draft Report will be available for final comment and the submission of organizational endorsements of guidelines on November 25, 1996, at the [final plenary] CONFU meeting." Mr Fowler expresses his anticipation that, depending upon the volume of comments, the Final Report will be published sometime in early January. (This suggests to me that our several professional organizations may express their opinion of this Draft Report by 11/18 and their endorsement--or repudiation--of the digital image guidelines on [or after?] 11/25. It is not clear whether there is a deadline for submitting such final organizational opinions.) Now my principal concern is that this Draft Report concludes with three "recommendations," which I will quote verbatim in their entirety for their general interest: "1. That this Report and Guidelines be agreed to by the CONFU participants be submitted to Congress at an appropriate time as part of legislative history so that they can be referenced in connection with the Copyright Act provisions on fair use. 2. That the Working Group on Intellectual Property Rights of the Information Infrastructure Task Force, or another appropriate federal government body, should consider convening another conference on fair use within five years to address both those areas of concern where participants did not, or were unable to, reach agreement on fair use guidelines and any other concerns regarding fair use at that time. 3. That the Working Group on Intellectual Property Rights of the Information Infrastructure Task Force make this Report available to the public to publicize the results of CONFU to the copyright owner, user, educational, institutional, and library communities." As I read the first of these recommendations to the Commissioner of Patents, the several CONFU guidelines would be "submitted to Congress ... as part of legislative history" NOT because the several organizations whose representatives participated in drafting them have endorsed the guidelines, but merely because (unlike, e.g., the ILL and reserves groups) the participants did eventually manage to produce draft guidelines! Surely this endows organizational representatives (whose final product has yet to be vetted by the organizations they represent) with an improper degree of responsibility. One gathers from Mr Fowler's cover memo that the final report is envisioned as indicating which organizations did ultimately endorse the guidelines. Would dissent also be registered? If so, how? Expressly or by simple omission of the dissenting organization's name from the list of endorsers? Will dissenting organizations be permitted to submit a statement that would be recorded officially along with the guidelines they repudiate as part of "legislative history"? This, it seems to me, speaks to a concern many of us have raised all along, i.e. that the guidelines would gain a life of their own and attain an unwarranted de facto legal status as part of "legislative history," that is, that they would be "referenced in connection with the Copyright Act provisions on fair use"--to quote the Draft Report's recommendation again. Max Marmor Yale Library