Yes, this has been one of my ongoing challenges ever since automated
circulation went into effect at our libraries.  The library policy was to
place all barcodes on the top OUTSIDE COVER of all paperbacks and on the
top inside cover of all hardback books.  I really think it's a mistake to
place these on the outside covers of ANYTHING since they sometimes have
caused books/catalogs to stick together on the shelves when an edge of
the barcode comes slightly up.  This practice also defaces the covers and
often covers up imp. information on the paperback, e.g., info. about
authors, illustrations, etc.  My preference is that all barcodes be
placed on the inside top covers of ALL books.  Journals also pose
problems when barcodes are placed on the covers and I monitor their
placement so that illustrations are not defaced.
BJ Irvine/Fine Arts Library/Indiana University