>Dear Colleagues:
>
>Having never used barcodes before, and on the brink of doing so, I would
>like to poll art libraries on placement of the barcode on the book.  Yes, we
>DO circulate books to university art students and to the Museum staff.  We
>do not have our circulation module yet, but as soon as our monograph
>shelflist is returned from being converted, we will be affixing labels.
>
>I'm know there are aesthetic and practical considerations and would value
>hearing from the voices of experience.  Respond to the list or to me
>directly - your choice.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Anne Morris
>Toledo Museum of Art
>Box 1013
>Toledo, OH  43697
>(419)255-8000, ext. 379

Dear Anne and colleagues:

        When we barcoded the Bryn Mawr College Art and Archaeology Library
books, we put the barcode on the flyleaf opposite the back cover if there
was no illustrative material there.  If there was any kind of illustration,
map, etc., we went one flyleaf further into the book.  In either instance,
we affixed it toward the top, ca. 1/2" down from the top of the flyleaf,
middle of the width of the flyleaf.  This seems to have worked well so far.
Our patrons learn to put the books down on the circulation desk back cover
facing up, so that when we open the book, the barcode is facing us. Not all
do this, of course, but many do as they have realized it speeds the process
of checking out the books.

        Enjoy the barcoding... we got a heap of volunteers together who
worked in pairs, one person pulling the "smart" barcodes from the sheets,
the other pulling the book from the shelf and affixing the barcode.  We
served lunch and beverages and it all went very smoothly.  Good luck.

                Eileen Markson

Eileen Markson
Head, Art and Archaeology Library
Bryn Mawr College