On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:04:39 -0500 (EST) RAYMOND A REECE
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Anne,
Like BJ Irvine, we at UCLA Arts Library have
taken various steps to lessen the
> liklihood of vandalism such as you describe.
We are lucky enough to have 4 options.
1) A secure Arts Library Restricted Cage with materials
paged by staff on the hour and read under supervision.  2)
A Permanent Reserve section where books are kept behind
the Arts Library Circulation Desk and require a formal
transaction (i.e., complete a call slip, have a library
card) to see.  Some of these are read under supervision
and some are not.  These items are usually higher demand
materials that are easier to get to from Permanent Reserve
than they would be if kept in the Restricted Cage.   3)  A
University of California remote storage facility (the
Southern Regional Library Facility, aka SRLF, which
fortunately for us, is located on the UCLA campus).  The
SRLF has a Special Collections Level with humidity and
temperature control.  Materials we have placed on this
level in the SRLF must be requested by Arts Library staff
from the circulation desk using the proper password.
These materials are read under supervision. Users must
have a library card in order to see SRLF materials. and 4)
on occasion I have transferred items to the University
Library's Department of Special Collections.
(This is an infrequent thing.)

The problem I sometimes have is determining which
materials to put in these "safe" locations.  It's not
always easy to decide what is "vulnerable, valuable,
fragile, etc."  I usually err toward security.  Sometimes
the content determines placement (Robert Mapplethorpe's
homoerotic photographs, for example, or Tom of Finland
publications which are often pornographic ); sometimes the
cost of an item (as in our copy of George Maciunas'
FLUXUS I (ONE) which cost an arm and a leg or, in general,
titles that cost over $500); sometimes it is because an
item is fragile; sometimes it's an item which is not
particularly expensive, not fragile, not controversial --
it's simply one that is in an absolutely
irresistable format full of dorm-wall-sized plates or it's
such a beautifully-designed book that the whole
folio-sized page is nice to look at (e.g., has
particularly wide margins).  I also regularly check
booksellers' catalogs for items in our stacks that are
fetching out-of-sight prices and move them to a safer
place.  Another thing we do is to paste down tipped-in
plates.  For some reason, not being able to pull them off
like a leaf of a note pad discourages people.

I sympathize with you, Anne.  I haven't recovered from a
systematic and extensive mutilation of about 70 volumes of
design annuals many years ago which we were never able to
replace.

Ray Reece
UCLA Arts Library

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:08:16 EST "b.j. irvine"