Help, please - I and a colleague, Laurie Whitehill from Rhode Island School of
Design, have been working on a conference workshop proposal for the Art
Libraries Society of North America 1997 conference in San Antonio.  A copy of
the workshop proposal is attached below.  We have not been able to find someone
who feels qualified to run the workshop, however, and will have to put this
proposal off until next year if we can't find someone REAL SOON.  Laurie and I
are both on the East coast, so it's hard to find someone in Texas from here!

If anyone has a recommendation, please contact me directly.  Thanks very much.

Sara J. MacDonald, Reference Librarian
Albert M. Greenfield Library, The University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102  USA
Voice: (215) 875-1016  Fax: (215) 875-2296
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
UArts home page: http://www.uarts.edu/

Workshop II.  Sharper and clearer: focusing your presentation
skills
Enrollment Limit:  15
Price:  $75
Whether giving a library tour, conducting a bibliographic
instruction session, engaging in a reference interview, training
a new employee, or making an oral presentation to a Board of
Trustees, all librarians employ various forms of verbal and
non-verbal communication.  Many of us, however, seldom
have the opportunity for guidance and feedback on our public
speaking skills.  The purpose of this all-day workshop is to
help librarians develop more effective oral presentation skills.
The format of the workshop will include a
lecture/demonstration, followed by a voluntary videotaping
session and evaluation.  While the workshop will focus on
presentation skills for reference or bibliographic instruction,
the content of the lecture and the videotaping experience will
be relevant to all librarians.
=0D
The day will be divided into a morning session with a lecture
and demonstration given by the workshop leader.  Participants
who have indicated that they would like to be videotaped will
then present (not read!) a prepared three minute talk on a
topic of their choice to the group, in front of the camera.
Following a lunch break, workshop participants will view the
videotaped presentations.  The workshop leader will offer
comments and suggestions for each presentation and solicit
feedback and dialogue from the group.  Further discussion
will re-emphasize essential  skills and, if time allows, a few
participants may have the opportunity to re-do their
presentations.
Workshop Leaders tba.