----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hello, colleagues - A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations on materials and processes sources for a class I gave to our industrial design students here at UArts. I got some good recommendations, including one very outstanding web site in Edinburgh, Scotland, provided to me by Roddy MacLeod, Senior Faculty Librarian at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. I also did a web search on "rapid prototyping" and found a lot of good information. I demonstrated Dialog online searching and web searching and spoke about the differences and similarities, and I showed them the type of tools that I used to prepare for the class (guides to the literature and bibliographies, e.g., _American Reference Books Annual_, _Information Sources in Engineering_, etc.). FYI, below is a little bit of what I used for the class. Sara J. MacDonald, Reference Librarian Albert M. Greenfield Library, The University of the Arts 320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102 USA Voice: (215) 875-1016 Fax: (215) 875-2296 E-mail: [log in to unmask] UArts home page: http://www.uarts.edu/ Bookmarks in the Industrial Design Sources Folder on the public access Internet terminal in the UArts Greenfield Library ID 214: Materials & Processes Fall 1996 Web sites for industrial design/materials and processes American Society for Testing & Materials Web Site http://www.astm.org/ CAD/CAM Publishing: CAD Report & Rapid Prototyping Report http://www.cadcamnet.com/circ/index.html CORE Industrial Design Network http://www.core77.com:80/ Edinburgh Engineering Virtual Library: Materials [links to over 100 sites!!] http://www.eevl.ac.uk:4321/browsepage#mat ERGOWEB: The Place for Ergonomics http://ergoweb.mech.utah.edu/ Industrial Designers Society of America http://www.idsa.org/ Material Safety Data Sheets gopher gopher://atlas.chem.utah.edu/11/MSDS National Technical Information Service (NTIS) http://www.fedworld.gov/ntis/ntishome.html Nerd World : ERGONOMICS http://www.nerdworld.com/ Plastics News [magazine] - Guest http://www.plasticsnews.com/guest/g_page1.html Rapid Prototyping Association of the Society of Mechanical Engineers http://www.sme.org/memb/rpa.html Rapid Prototyping Conference http://www-rpconf.isr.umd.edu/ Rapid Prototyping Report: table of contents http://www.cadcamnet.com/circ/rptoc.htm#CurrentMonth Rapid Prototyping Resource Center [very good!] http://cadserv.cadlab.vt.edu/bohn/RP.html Society of Manufacturing Engineers http://www.sme.org/sme.html The World-Wide Web Virtual Library: Design http://www.dh.umu.se/vlib.html Yahoo! - Business and Economy:Companies:Manufacturing:Casting, Molding and Machining:Rapid Prototyping http://www.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Manufacturing/Casting__Moldi ng_and_Machining/Rapid_Prototyping/ Databases for Materials and Processes PROMT: Predicasts Overview of Markets and Technology Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 16 Covers companies, products, markets, and technologies. Covers journals (particularly specialized trade and industry journals that are hard to find), newsletters, newspapers. Usually an excellent starting point for product, company, or industry research. Updated daily. Materials Business File Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 269 Produced by the American Society for Metals (ASM) and the Institute of Metals (UK), covers technical and commercial developments in iron and steel, nonferrous metals, and engineered materials. Updated monthly. METADEX: Metals Science Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 32 Comprehensive coverage of international metals literature. Updated monthly. RAPRA: Rubber and Plastics Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 323 Information on the technical, academic, commercial, and marketing aspects of the rubber, plastics, adhesives, and polymeric composite industries. Updated twice monthly. NTIS: National Technical Information Service Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 6 Consists of summaries of U.S. government-sponsored research, development, and engineering, plus analyses prepared by federal agencies, their contractors, or grantees. It is the means through which unclassified, publicly available, unlimited distribution reports are made available for sale from agencies such as NASA, DOD, DOE, HUD, DOT, Department of Commerce, and some 240 other agencies. Updated twice monthly. Ei Compendex Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 8 International engineering and technological literature. Covers journals, books, conference proceedings, technical reports, society publications, etc. Updated monthly. Engineered Materials Abstracts Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 293 Worldwide literature on the science of polymers, ceramics, and composite materials for use in the design, construction, and operation of structures, equipment, and systems. Updated monthly. ABI/Inform Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 15 Articles on management and business. Good for ID for actual products in the marketplace. Updated weekly. New York Times Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 471 Current 90 days only; full-text. IAC Trade and Industry Database Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 148 International company, industry, product, and market information. Updated daily. Material Safety Data Sheets Knight-Ridder/Dialog file 332 Technical information. Update frequency: quarterly reload. Also available free on the WWW: gopher://atlas.chem.utah.edu/11/MSDS