Mr. von der Berg:

Please be sure that it was your organization (among others) to which I
referred.  A fax to your London number recently (44 181 780 1565) resulted
in no response, hence, me ARLIS query.  I would be happy to discuss this
issue and the order of the catalog with you, but not over the ARLIS-L

Lee

>Lee Sorensen at the Duke University Lilly Library wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if a catalog was issued for the recent auction in
>Beijing of the works of art connected with the Cultural Revolution?  My
>major dealers of asian books and catalogs don't have a record of this.
>
>Any responses appreciated,
>
>Lee
>----------------------
>----------------------
>
>My answer to this is:
>
>I think your major dealers of Asian books and catalogs are not worth their
>salt. Had you asked me I would have informed you that the sale was held at
>the China Guardian Auction in Beijing. Also, I believe you refer to the
>sale of Mao Memoriabilia rather than Cultural Revolution specifically.
>
>Furthermore, since I will be in Beijing in mid November, on my regular
>buying trip, I can volunteer to try and get you a copy of the catalogue (I
>only have my personal copy), and also for any one else who would like one.
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
>With many thanks and kind regards.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>HAN-SHAN TANG BOOKS
>
>Ch. von der Burg
>

>----------
>Han-Shan Tang Books (UK) -- East Asian, Central Asian, and Related Art
>42 Westleigh Avenue, London SW15 6RL, UK
>Tel: (+44 181) 788 4464   Fax: (+44 181) 780 1565
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>World Wide Web: http://www.demon.co.uk/eastfield/hstbooks/
>----------

Lee R. Sorensen, A.M., A.M.
Art Librarian and Bibliographer
Duke University Lilly Library
Box 90727
Durham, NC  27708-0727

Phone:  919/660-5994                 [log in to unmask]
FAX:    919/660-5999                 [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.lib.duke.edu/lilly/art.html

"[Book collecting at the Warburg Library] is really very simple, at the
beginning of the financial year we can buy any book we want--but then we
cannot buy another one."

--Otto Kurz, 1908-1975, librarian of the Warburg and Courtald Institutes