THere is an interesting editorial in the October issue of Burlington
Magazine that addresses this to some degree.  At least one entry (on
patronage) is found to be superior in Encyclopedia of World Art.  We are
going to keep the Encyclopedia of World Art in Reference, at least for
awhile, until we have had a good chance to work with both of them.  The
index volume and the plates in each volume are assets as well.