--- You wrote:
>A colleague of mine in a small academic library has just been
>charged with developing their collection to support their college's
>first BFA program.
>
>Other than Books for College Libraries (which isn't alot of help
>to special areas like art) are their other sources she can consult
>to develop a good core collection in art that would pass muster
>with accrediting boards, faculty and students?
>
>I've never had to start "from scratch" to develop an art collection.
--- end of quoted material ---

On a related issue, this summer two visiting faculty in studio art (from
academic insitutions that have no art library and I think also no art
librarian) asked me for guidance as to how they should go about recommending
art books for the library to buy.  I suggested that they have their libraries
look into standing orders from publishers (Abrams, Abbeville) and possibly
approval plans (Worldwide now provides such a service for art books).  I told
them that these would provide art history books and books on major contemporary
artists, but that selecting good technical books on studio art has always been
a challenge.

Barbara E. Reed  Art Librarian  Dartmouth College        6033 Carpenter Hall
Hanover NH  03755-3570
[log in to unmask] //         phone: (603) 646-3831 //        fax:
(603) 646-1218