There seems to be a fair amount of interest in books and essays on art and
technology, so I thought I'd compile the responses I received for the
list. My thanks to everyone who sent their suggestions.  I forwarded them
to my client, who was thrilled.  Thanks again.  Kate
        Kate Borowske                             Bush Library
        Reference Librarian/Graduate School       Hamline University
        [log in to unmask]                  1536 Hewitt Ave.
        phone:   612-641-2442                     St. Paul, MN   55104
        fax:  612-641-2199

There is an excellent book by Owen Kelly, who teaches multimedia, called
"Digital Creativity" put out by a foundation in England. It's the best
rundown of art and technology I've read though it does have a European
slant to it. He was commissioned to write it as an introduction to art
and technology.

 I loaned the book out so I don't have the publisher but I do have
Owen's email. He'll answer any questions and arrange for a review copy
to be sent.

Owen Kelly

ROBBIN MURPHY, creative director, artnetweb
[log in to unmask]  -- http://artnetweb.com
426 Broome Street, NYC 10013  212 925-1885
READINGS: http://artnetweb.com/views/viewsind.html

Here is a title that may be of help, even though it was published several
years ago Lovejoy, Margot. Postmodern currents: art and artists in the age
of electronic media. Ann Arbor: UMI Research Press, 1989 (Studies in the
Fine Arts: The Avant-Garde, no. 64).  I am not familiar with the title you
mentioned, but think this one may be on target.

Gina Kaiser
Associate Librarian
Philadelphia Museum of Art

Look up Margot Lovejoy's book--it's a classic--and she is updating it
or has this past summer for a new edition--it's remarkable--and just
up your alley.  Cannot cite the name off the top of my head, but she
is a professor at SUNY/Purchase--and is also an artist who does
projections and artist books.

Judith
Judith A. Hoffberg
Umbrella/Umbrella Editions
P.O. Box 3640
Santa Monica, CA 90408
(310)399-1146/fax:399-5070

Siegfried Giedion's "Mechanization Takes Command:  A Contribution to
Anonymous History" (Oxford University Press 1948, Norton 1969) might
help.

Jenni Rodda, Curator
Visual Resources Collections
Institute of Fine Arts
1 East 78th Street
New York, NY  10021
(212) 772-5872, fax (212) 772-5807, [log in to unmask]

If you want something a little broader in scope, you might want to check
out Barbara Maria Stafford.  Good Looking: Essays on the Virtue of Images.
(MIT, 1996)  In this anthology, Stafford addresses many of the conceptual
and practical issues surrounding the fate of images in an ironically
logocentric but imagistic society.

Katherine Haskins
Head of Reference Services
The Joseph Regenstein Library
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637
(312) 702-8708

Richard A. Lanham THE ELECTRONIC WORD: DEMOCRACY, TECHNOLOGY AND THE
ARTS. (1993) contains a chapter "Digital Rhetoric and the Digital Arts".
Myron w. Krueger - ARTIFICIAL REALITY. (1983) contains chapters
"Antecedent Trends in Art and Technology", "Glowform, an Enviromental
Art Form", "The Responsive Enviroment, a New Aesthetic Medium" and
"Influence on the Traditional Arts".

-Thelma Stone

I think the problem Kate's client may have is finding
*critical* approaches to the question. Most that I've come
across are from evangelists for the new technology - eg

Art of the electronic age, by Frank Popper
Designing the future, by Robin Baker

The reconfigured eye, by William J Mitchell, is rather
more critical, but still not an equivalent to the Birketts
book, I feel. Its focus is rather narrower than Kate is
looking for - it looks at how new technologies affect
our ideas of "visual truth".

John.
--
John McKay
Ravensbourne College of Design & Communication

Kate.  This may be too late, but I found a few we have here.  I only have
short records, but you should be able to find them on OCLC.

The classic:  Douglas Davis.  Art and the future.
newer ones:  Cyberarts: exploring art and technology, 1992.  oclc
#26779578

Visions of the future.  1992. oclc# 26853464.

The Leonardo Almanac.  (Leonardo is a journal of art and technology)

and the newest one;  Immersed in Technology.  MIT Press, 1996.

Hope this helps.

Roland C. Hansen
Readers' Services Librarian
School of the Art Institute of Chicago