Our library sytem has forms called "exit permits" - really special permission
forms - which allow us to domanual checkout of non-circulating materials,
including periodicals.  The form provides space for call number, time checked
out, due time, borrower's name and id number, title if desired, and staff
initials.  It is in duplicate; one copy goes with the volume, one stays in the
library.  This system works very well.

We have a new system (Inovative Interfaces) which allows us to check out the  p
eriodicals online, but have chosen to stick with the old system for two
reasons: we have better control over due times and can follow up easily on
overdues, and it makes the borrower more aware that this is a special
privilege.  We have talked our copy service into providing a color copier at
this site, so requests are less frequent than they used to be - though the
desire to digitize illustrations is adding back more requests.

BERNA E. NEAL
Architecture/Environmental Design Library, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
(602) 965-7422